A day in the Capital of Champagne: Épernay!
Located in the heart of the Champagne vineyards, Épernay is the capital of Champagne.
Situated in the magnificent wine region of Champagne, in the heart of 30,000 hectares of vineyards, Épernay is only 27 kms from Reims and our establishment, a good reason to go there and discover its history and its particularity.
A little history!
Its history is closely linked to that of champagne wine and has been known since Gallo-Roman times under the name "river wine".
Discover the town by starting with a 40-minute walk to discover the architecture of Épernay and its monuments.
Start your walk in :
- the majestic Avenue de Champagne, classified "Site Remarquable du Goût en France". This avenue is lined with the world-famous wine production and trading houses, you will also see,
- The town hall, the former mansion of Mr AUBAN-MOET, built in 1858,
- The orangery and its garden,
- The Perrier castle.
- Place Mendès France and admire the Gabrielle Dorziat theatre,
- The Church of Notre-Dame, whose construction began in 1898 and was completed in 1917, was restored in 1924 after the 1918 bombings which had partly destroyed it. It is possible to visit the sacred art space which contains precious liturgical vestments and statues from the 15th and 16th centuries.
- The Saint-Martin portal, a vestige of the former Notre Dame church,
- The Maison de la Lune built in 1896, representative of the Art Nouveau style.
- The chapel of the Hospital
110 km of underground cellars under your feet!
Could you imagine after this walk through the streets of Épernay that the Avenue de Champagne and the neighbouring streets hide a network of more than 110 km of cellars dug into the chalk?
In total, there would be more than 200 million bottles of champagne
The chalk, which is easy to dig, allowed the development of these cellars and the underground galleries were used during the war as shelters for the inhabitants.
The bottles are carefully stored in these immense chalk cellars which date back to the 18th century, and the appearance of the first Champagne Houses.
You are in the capital of Champagne, so take the time to taste it!
Spend a day in Épernay, the capital of champagne, and visit one or more of the famous champagne houses and their cellars.
Take the time to have lunch or dinner in one of the good restaurants of Épernay, the choice of establishments is large, you will certainly find your happiness.